Below is a walk-through of an example set up for a Peer Assessment. This Peer Assessment has the following requirements:
- Each student will be randomly assigned to assess the work of two other students.
- The students will be evaluating a paper that each student turned into a course Drop Box.
How to Set Up a Peer Assessment Where Students Are Randomly Assigned to Each Other and Evaluate Work Submitted to a Drop Box
- Click Peer Assessments under Activities and Assignments on the main Faculty Tools page.
- On the main Peer Assessment page, click New Peer Assessment.
- Enter the Title of this Peer Assessment.
- Select the Opens to students on and Assessment due by dates for the assessment. Clicking the date fields brings up a calendar that can be used to easily select the date and time. Select the date and use the vertical scrolls to select a time.
Important: Assessment settings are locked one hour prior to the opening of an assessment so that the individual student assignments can be created. No changes can be made from one hour before assessment opening and when the assessment opens to students. You will need to set up your Peer Assessment at least one hour before it needs to open to students.
- Select Randomly Assigned for What kind of assessment are you doing?
- In Each student will do ___ assessments, enter "2."
- Select the appropriate Drop Box from the Link to a Drop Box list.
- Click Save and continue to rubric.
- Select options around student comments, instructor comments, and file feedback at the top of the rubric.
- Click in the Instructions box to add instructions to students as needed.
- If you need a refresher, view the Rubric Editor Explained.
- Click Criteria to add criteria (rows) to the rubric.
- Click Performance Level to add performance levels (columns) to the rubric.
- Complete each cell in the rubric by clicking inside each cell, giving specific indicators as to what allows a student to achieve that performance level for that criteria.
- Provide a points value for each cell in the rubric.
- Once you are satisfied with the rubric set up, click Save Changes.